Tips on participating in online classes
We follow up our top tips for teaching online class with tips for participating from home!
Participating in Classes
- Get familiar with the platform you are taking classes on and ensure you prepare a little ahead, so you don’t need to rush to start class!
- Take care of your own body and adapt ‘like a boss’!
- Stay focused, it is really easy to wander off in the comfort of your own home. Make sure you make a zone for dance/moving and once you are in it; stay focused with the class.
- Keep to a routine, find new things to do each day but always stick a routine of when you dance and when you finish to keep some structure for yourself
- You get out as much as you put in, take responsibility for your own practice.
- Interact with the teacher as much as you can, it builds the community feel and keeps the leader’s energy up too. This is opportunity to ask questions about the session of if there are any translations you’d like to ask about.
KEEP MOVING- I try to keep moving in the in-between times, as I find watching a screen difficult when I’m static. I find it better to keep mobilisation going when listening and watching.
MUSIC - Music and the beat give me energy... as always technology can be tricky so if you can’t hear very well it’s no one’s fault, but you can ask for the title of the music and play it your end as loud as you can without disturbing your neighbours so you feel like you’re moving in class with others
Credits: Alice Shepperson, Christian Brinklow, Hannah Sampson, KJ Mortimer, Nadenh Poan, Jannick Moth
Find part 1 on leading online classes here: bit.ly/LeadingClassOnline